Thursday, November 4, 2010

Approaching Winter.

As I mentioned in the last lengthy post, the first snow fell in Niseko last week.  On the evening of the same day, it also fell here in the city, and so I got a little taste of what the place will be like during the winter.  Bloody cold, that’s what.

I also got an idea of how the snow effects city life.

First of all, on the main streets the snow is cleared away from the footpaths, but in the smaller areas, like where I live, it builds up.  Added to this, the snow ploughs heap snow from the road up against the pavements. 

This all has the effect of making cycling pretty dicey, especially when one has no intention of investing in snow tyres.

Obviously, I no longer cycled on the road, as this would have invited quite serious injury or death, and, to tell the truth, I’m fairly certain that I can injure myself quite sufficiently on the footpaths that haven’t been cleared.  The two outings that I made when the snow was prevalent, were both undertaken with plenty of time to spare, and were more for research on the effect of the snow on one’s ability to stay upright on the bicycle than to get to work in a huge hurry.  The intelligence gathered from these expeditions will hopefully have given me enough knowledge of the white menace to avoid any mishaps in the event of another fall.

So far this is what I’ve learned:

  • Do not try cycling through snow while negotiating a turn
  • Dismount in areas where the pavement slopes from left to right, or visa versa, i.e. in any other direction than the direction you are cycling.
  • High speeds should be avoided, as should sudden changes in direction.  Ramming snowdrifts is also ill-advised, though it may seem fun.
  • Do not attempt to pedal from a standstill when the back tire is in snow – especially at pedestrian crossings and ESPECIALLY when there is a man in a suit standing behind you – to avoid wheel spin and resulting back spray.
  • Brake in plenty of time.
  • Cycling slowly is still faster than walking.



As for the apartment, it has, unsurprisingly, become increasingly cold along with the weather.  The stove still heats the living room nicely, although I’m running low on paraffin for it now, and I don’t know where to get more yet.  The bedroom, however, is generally freezing.  It had been the case that with several layers of blankets heaped up on top of me I was quite cosy, and changing at bedtime and getting into bed were the only issues.  However when the snow fell even the bed was no haven of warmth against the chill.  Last night I completed my migration into the living room, and from now on I only make brief polar forays into the other part of the house for clothes and such.

It’s not so bad though, as I have less than a month to go before I move to the ski resort, where I’ll be on proper wages (with a meal or two per shift), living in a warm house (albeit shared) with an internet connection, and snowboarding to my heart’s content (that is if I ever get around to buying a board).

Also, decided to try the internet in park outside my house again, and it's back working!  My luck is still in!

No comments: